Monday, March 10, 2008

12 Miles, Baby!

I had so much anxiety about running 12 whole miles that I did it on Friday so I could get it over with. It was actually so great to be outside running past the Temple, where I saw some brides out getting their pictures taken- I couldn't help but think of my wedding day. I ran past Lone Peak High School where of course I thought of my high school days. I ran to this corner home in Highland and back. I actually really enjoyed it and when I got home I really couldn't believe I'd run in the double digits!! Before this I'd never even attempt that.
So I have a few questions for you guys- After my long runs the outsides of my hips, knees and ankles kind of ache- it hurts to kneel on my knees and they feel swollen. It helps when I ice them but I'm just wondering if you all have experienced this too. Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent this? I'm wondering if it's because my hips keep going out since I had Sawyer, or if it just because it's a long distance. Anyway, any input would be great. I haven't done my workout for today yet-- just trying to get motivated by visiting the blog. You guys are all awesome! Thanks for all the comments and advice. Happy running!

2 comments:

lacy lee said...

Way to go, April! My knees ache after long runs, too. But they usually heal up before the next long run...so I think it's just the norm!

Brent said...

Yeah, my knees get sore as well. But, like Lacy's said, the pain goes away after a while.

I've read that sometimes that pain in your hips and ankles and knees can come from the way your foot strikes the ground. If your foot "pronates" a lot, that is, if your foot tends to roll inwards when it strikes the ground, that extra motion can aggravate your tendons in your hips and your knees.

Ideally your foot rolls inward slightly as your heel strikes the ground and you roll on to the ball of your foot and then your toes. If your foot is rolling inward too much, you might want to think about getting shoes or inserts with "motion control" or "stability" that will help prevent your foot from pronating too much.

Let us know if that advice is on the right track.