Saturday, February 9, 2008

I did it, sorta!?

I just completed my online registration for the marathon. I also started my 12 mile run outside. I say started not completed because at around 5.5 miles on the scenic Provo River Parkway I slipped and fell on a huge patch of ice. It was a stupid move on my part really and probably could have been avoided. The trail was on and off snowy/icy some parts were dry as can be and others had ice but with a decent covering of powder so there was some traction. The scary parts are when I would head under a bridge. These bridge underpass things are actually scary on many levels because they built the underpasses with these really high cement walls on either side of you so you can't see what you are running into and it's really dark, so needless to say I was also clutching my pepper spray as I approached each one. As I approached this one I could see there was not even a tiny patch of asphalt it was completely iced over so I slowed down. I should have stopped but I didn't and my feet slipped out from under me and I fell backwards flat onto my back. I picked myself and my shattered self dignity up and tried to keep going but it was very painful so I surrendered to my wimpier side and called Ryan to come and get me. I've showered, rested, taken a prescription Aleve and am feeling much better so now I want to finish my miles (in the safety of the gym). So this is my question should I just go run the 6.5 I have left to make it 12 or should I run the full 12 in the gym making my total mileage for today 17.5 miles or should I just call it good for today and run the 12 miles next week , in essence just switching up the weeks as next week we only have to run 6 miles according to the schedule? Well if anyone reads this in the next few hours let me know what you would do. If not I'll have to make the call on my own, I just don't want to surrender to my wimpier side twice in the same day.

3 comments:

lacy lee said...

If you feel up to it, I say finish it at the gym. Definitely don't run another bout of 12 miles, especially with your tendon! If you don't feel up to it (I can never run twice in one day), then switch it up. Trust me, you are by no means behind. My 11 miles took me close to three hours...

Brent said...

Yeah, I agree with Lacy. Just run the other 6.5 and call it good.

Mark and April Sullivan said...

I'm sorry to hear about your slip- but I'm glad you don't feel like it will totally throw your training off. Keep going, girl!