Saturday, February 9, 2008

First outside run!

Friday was the first day warm enough (for me...the wimp) to actually run outside, and it was great. Up until now, I've been running on the treadmill at the gym or at BYU's indoor track. Let me express my gratitude now for portable music (and the occasional episode of This American Life) because otherwise I think I would have broken down on the treadmill out of boredom. But I digress.

I went out in the late afternoon, and the sun was casting shadows from the sparse clouds on the mountains. Mt. Timp looked as beautiful as I've ever seen it. It was a good omen for my run.

I headed down to the Provo River trail (it's less than a mile away from my house), and unlike Dana, was able to avoid falling, but granted, I didn't have to go through underpasses (which also creep me out). I don't know why I'm blogging about this, I guess I just want to share the joy of being able to run outside! I've been cramped in the gym, so it's nice to get out, you know?

This time I went down to Utah Lake State Park, and took part of the trail I'd never taken before. It runs north/south on the eastern shore of the lake and dead ends at a little creek that feeds in the lake. So, there's the lake on one side and nothing but pasture on the other. Acres and acres of snow-covered pasture with cows. No houses, no buildings, and you can see across the valley, see the Provo temple up by Rock Canyon, and the mountains, which were gorgeous. It was one of those moments where you take a deep breath, sigh, and tell God you're grateful to be alive, running, and soaking up all the beauty around you. You know what I mean?

The run got interesting because I decided not to retrace my path. Instead I cut across the pastures, which turned out to be tougher than I thought. Running in snow a foot deep is quite the challenge. I thought my feet would freeze, but they were fine. I saw all kinds of animal tracks, a recently deceased cow, I had to jump a creek and a couple of fences, and my thighs felt they were about to combust. But I made it!

"So what?" one might ask. I'm just spreading the joy of running, that's all.

2 comments:

Mark and April Sullivan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Oh! That sounds so nice. I'm looking forward to warmer weather and runs outside. The great thing about it is even when you feel like dying, at least your dying in nature, not cooped up in a stinky gym- plus- you HAVE to finish your workout to get back to your car/home- unless you get hurt or something.